Since we first launched this site more than 15,000 people have read its pages, and that number grows every single day.
We began this story by explaining that the truth itself is tremendously powerful. And it is. The truth is powerful because it cannot be untold, nor unheard. When good people hear the truth they are motivated to DO something. And we would like to call on every single one of you to do all that you can. Here is a list of ways that you can help. Perhaps you can only do one of them, some can do several, some will do all. We ask only that you do what you can.
The MOST IMPORTANT THING anyone, anywhere out there can do is to COME FORWARD. If you have information about this case, if you know someone who has information about this case, PLEASE, PLEASE, come forward. You can come forward on record and be eligible for the reward or come forward COMPLETELY anonymously. Some people have already come forward, but these four men need EVERYONE to come forward. No one wants to be a snitch, and no one wants to be afraid. But this is not snitching. Four innocent men are in prison. Even though many people have come forward the court has a very high requirement. Be courageous. Do what you hope someone would do for you. Make us proud, make your family proud, make yourself proud. To stay silent is to take the side of the oppressor. If you are silent now, who will speak for you when you are in need? Do the right thing, or encourage someone else to do the right thing. Call Bill Oberly of the Innocence Project with your information, however big or small, at 907-279-0454
1. SIGN A PETITION online HERE and in person if you get the chance. When we have enough signatures we will send this petition to every single entity and person we believe can help. Now that you are all warmed up, write a letter! Or a dozen!
2. MULTIPLY YOUR SIGNATURE Get as many people as you can to sign the petition! If each signer inspired ten of their friends to sign this petition we could have 10,000 signatures this week. You have a LOT of power, more than you think. Bring 10 people to the petition! You can easily do this by reposting a link to the petition on your Facebook, sending it out to your email contacts, and talking about this case with your friends.
3. SPREAD THE WORD in whatever way you can. We absolutely believe that the truth will set these men free. Truth has power – talk about this case. Write letters to the editor. Talk to your family, your friends, your children. Send people to this blog, tell them to like us on Facebook, tell them to watch this issue. Write an email to your favorite news programs and tell them to look into this case. This is about more than four men, this is about injustice and out power to change it. The truth has the power to change minds, lives, societies, the world. We have assembled a press kit you can copy and paste or print to send anywhere you like – find that HERE.
4. GIVE AWAY YOUR MONEY! Had to fit that in somehow. These are hard times financially for almost all of us. But if you can, give a little. Attend the fundraisers if you are local, donate online to Alaska Innocence Project HERE, give a million dollars, give one dollar, give a penny. It is a sad truth that legal work is so expensive as to be out of reach for most people, but it is the case. It is unfortunate that many informants are not motivated by the goodness of the deed but the size of the reward, but history tells us that is the case. Every single penny counts.
5. GIVE AWAY YOUR TIME! Speaking of things we all wish we had more of…..money and time are hard to give away because they are so powerful. If you can give any time, do. Five minutes for a conversation, two hours to sit at a booth, an hour in prayer, thirty minutes to write an email, etc. If you are an artist, consider donating your art. Any skill can be used to help – get creative. Track us down on Facebook (link on the side of this blog or just look up Free the Fairbanks Four) and tell us you would like to help. Trust me, we will take you up on it!! Every single minute counts.
6. KEEP READING! If this story has not yet moved you to act, called your name, rung true, then keep reading and let time and truth do their work.
7. NEVER GIVE UP. No one can promise you that this will be a short fight, it may be very long. As one reader recently said, this may be a sad story, but it still has a chance at a happy ending. What we are doing right now is writing the ending. Stick around to see it, to make it!
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.” ~ Calvin Coolidge
Thank you. Every single one of you is proof that the world is full of people who, when given the chance, will stand up for what is right. What a nice thought.